Dec 15, 2018
2018: On the Monday after Thanksgiving, General Motors workers
in the U.S. and Canada learned of the company's announcement that
it would be idling five plants and cutting around 14,000 jobs. In
this urgent, multi-episode series, we will be talking to workers at
plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Canada. In the fourth and final part
of this series, we speak with activists, workers, scholars, and
writers to get a range of perspectives on the GM layoffs, the
plight of workers in the U.S. and beyond, and what we need to
do--all of us--to collectively fight back against exploitation and
to build a better world.
We are sending a huge, heartfelt thanks to all the workers,
organizers, and activists who helped us put this series together.
Special thanks to: Steve
Maher, Cheryl J, and Kyle Minton.
Additional links/info below...
- Neal E. Boudette, New York Times, "G.M. to Idle Plants
and Cut Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow"
- CBS News, "GM Layoff
Announcement Sparks Outrage - and Stock Increase"
- Leyland Cecco & Mike Elk, The Guardian, "'No Jobs on the
Horizon': Workers Respond to General Motors' Decision to Close
- Ron Jacobs, CounterPunch, "The Legacy of
- Will Bunch, The Inquirer, "In 1970s, Workers
at this GM Plant Tried to Reinvent the American Dream. Instead,
They Watched It Fade Away"
- Sherry Linkon & John Russo, CityLab, "With GM Job Cuts,
Youngstown Faces a New 'Black Monday'"
- Sam Gindin, The Bullet, "The Auto Crisis: Placing Our Own
Alternative on the Table"
- Kim Scipes (ed), Building Global
Labor Solidarity in a Time of Accelerating
- Leslie Barrett, WFMJ, "'Drive It Home'
Campaign Continuing to Help Save GM Lordstown
- Good Jobs Nation website
- #Shame Campaign website
- Southpaw Michigan website
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"
- Menhirs of Er Grah, "Some Days"
- Marissa Anderson, "Cloud Corner"
- Cletus Got Shot, "Work These Hands"
- Tan Low, "Road Song"
- Rachel Mason, "Rebel Angels"
- Scott Holmes, "Together We Stand"