Dec 12, 2018
2018: On the Monday after Thanksgiving, General Motors workers
in the U.S. and Canada learned of the company's announcement that
it would be idling five plants and cutting around 14,000 jobs. In
this urgent, multi-episode series, we will be talking to workers at
plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Canada. In Part IIII, we talk to Cory
Weir and Rebecca Keetch, two workers at the award-winning GM plant
in Oshawa, Ontario. We talk about the pivotal role Oshawa has
played in Canadian labor history and about what workers there (and
everywhere) need to do to fight back against this system of
Additional links/info below...
- Neal E. Boudette, New York Times, "G.M. to Idle Plants
and Cut Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow"
- CBS News, "GM Layoff
Announcement Sparks Outrage - and Stock Increase"
- Amara McLaughlin, CBC News, "'They Are Not
Closing Our Damn Plant': Union Vows Fight as GM Plans Oshawa
- Leyland Cecco & Mike Elk, The Guardian, "'No Jobs on the
Horizon': Workers Respond to General Motors' Decision to Close
- The Globe & Mail, "History of
General Motors in Oshawa"
- Robert Collison & Sturla Gunnarsson (directors), Final
- Sam Gindin, The Canadian
Auto Workers: The Birth and Transformation of a
- Sam Gindin, The Bullet, "Big Three Bargaining: Different Ways of
- Sam Gindin, The Bullet, "The Auto Crisis: Placing Our Own
Alternative on the Table"
- Leslie Barrett, WFMJ, "'Drive It Home'
Campaign Continuing to Help Save GM Lordstown
- Good Jobs Nation website
- #Shame Campaign website
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"
- Wasaru, "Blurred Foam"
- Marwood Williams, "All Hail the Corporation"