Dec 5, 2018
2018: On the Monday after Thanksgiving, General Motors workers
in the U.S. and Canada learned of the company's announcement that
it would be idling five plants and cutting around 14,000 jobs. In
this urgent, multi-episode series, we will be talking to workers at
plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Canada. In Part I, we talk to
Rochelle Carlisle, Tommy Wolikow, and Nanette Senters, three GM
workers from the iconic GM plant in Lordstown, OH.
Additional links/info below...
- Neal E. Boudette, New York Times, "G.M. to Idle Plants and Cut
Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow"
- CBS News, "GM Layoff Announcement
Sparks Outrage - and Stock Increase"
- Jamie L. LaReau, Detroit Free Press, "UAW Fights to Save Detroit,
Ohio Plants, Braces for Tough Contract Talks"
- Tim Rudell, WOSU Radio, "Workers, Neighbors and
Friends Gather for GM Lordstown Vigil"
- Ron Jacobs, CounterPunch, "The Legacy of
- Will Bunch, The Inquirer, "In 1970s, Workers at this
GM Plant Tried to Reinvent the American Dream. Instead, They
Watched It Fade Away"
- Sherry Linkon & John Russo, CityLab, "With GM Job Cuts,
Youngstown Faces a New 'Black Monday'"
- Leslie Barrett, WFMJ, "'Drive It Home' Campaign
Continuing to Help Save GM Lordstown Plant"
- Good Jobs Nation website
- #Shame Campaign website
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"
- Breath Before the Plunge, "Black & Blue"
- Derek Clegg, "The Mountains Will Collide"
- Cletus Got Shot, “Charlie Jones”