Dec 6, 2018
2018: On the Monday after Thanksgiving, General Motors workers
in the U.S. and Canada learned of the company's announcement that
it would be idling five plants and cutting around 14,000 jobs. In
this urgent, multi-episode series, we will be talking to workers at
plants in Ohio, Michigan, and Canada. In Part II, we talk to Lilly
and Sean, Tier 2 and Tier 3 workers at the GM plant in Hamtramck,
and we talk to Beau, a salaried worker at the GM Metal Center in
Pontiac, about the announced closure of the historic Hamtramck
plant and the ripple effects this announcement is having for
workers across Michigan.
Additional links/info below...
- Neal E. Boudette, New York Times, "G.M. to Idle Plants
and Cut Thousands of Jobs as Sales Slow"
- CBS News, "GM Layoff
Announcement Sparks Outrage - and Stock Increase"
- Norb Franz, Macomb Daily, "GM to Shutter
Warren Transmission and Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plants, Cut
- John Gallagher, Detroit Free Press, "GM Hamtramck Plant
Closing Reopens Old Controversy in Detroit"
- Detroit News, "The GM Strike that
Changed the U.S. Workplace"
- Heather Ann Thompson, Whose Detroit?:
Politics, Labor, and Race in a Modern American
- Thomas J. Sugrue, The Origins of
the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar
- Daniel J. Clark, Disruption in
Detroit: Autoworkers and the Elusive Postwar
- Leslie Barrett, WFMJ, "'Drive It Home'
Campaign Continuing to Help Save GM Lordstown
- Good Jobs Nation website
- #Shame Campaign website
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"
- Evie Sands, "Shine for Me"
- Great White Buffalo, "Detroit"
- The Tall Pines, "Fire in my Bones"