Jun 30, 2019
Last Monday, Representatives Ilhan Omar, Pramila Jayapal, and
Senator Bernie Sanders unveiled the Student Debt Cancellation Act
of 2019, which includes a plan to wipe out the $1.6 trillion in
student debt held by 45 million Americans. In this this special
episode, we talk to Ami Schneider and Sanders Fabares, two debt
holders and graduates from the for-profit Art Institute college
chain who decided to fight back and get involved in anti-debt
organizing through the Debt Collective.
Additional links/info below...
- The Debt Collective website, Facebook page, and
- Lucy Diavolo, Teen Vogue, "Bernie Sanders
Teamed Up With Ilhan Omar and Pramila Jayapal on a Plan to Cancel
All Student Loan Debt"
- Astra Taylor, The Guardian, "Free College and
Debt Forgiveness Are Within Our Grasp. Don't Settle for
- Sarah Jaffe, The Washington Post, "The People Power
Behind Sanders's Debt Cancellation Plan"
- Marshall Steinbaum, Current Affairs, "Is Student Debt
Cancellation Regressive? NO"
- Sparky Abraham, Current Affairs, "How Student Debt Is
Worsening Gender and Racial Injustice"
- Casey Quinlan, ThinkProgress, "Why Graduates Of
For-Profit Colleges Are Struggling To Pay Back
- Tressie McMillan Cottom, The New Press, Lower Ed: The
Troubling Rise of For-Profit Colleges in the New
- Alex Shebanow, Fail
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"