Mar 18, 2019
We brought friend of the show Lauren Schandevel back on to vent
about and break down last week's college admissions scandal. Lauren
(whom we interviewed back in Season 1) is a brilliant,
working-class student at the University of Michigan and
she has some thoughts about rich people
buying and bribing their kids' way into elite colleges and
Additional links/info below...
- Working People, Season 1, Episode 4, Lauren
- Lauren's Twitter page
- Martin Slagter, MLive, "2 University of
Michigan Students Help Create Nation's First Social Class &
- Scott Jaschick, Inside Higher Ed, "Massive Admissions
- Nathan J. Robinson, The Guardian, "Meritocracy Is a
Myth Invented by the Rich"
- The Chronicle of Higher Education continuing coverage
of the admissions scandal, "Admission through
the 'Side Door'"
- Malcolm Harris, NY Mag, "The College
Admissions Ring Tells Us How Much Schoolwork Is
- Being Not-Rich
at UM guide
- Jennifer Meer, The Michigan Daily, "University ranks
last in economic mobility and diversity among elite public
- Gregor Aisch, Larry Buchanan, Amanda Cox, & Kevin Quealy,
The New York Times, "Some Colleges
Have More Students From the Top 1 Percent Than the Bottom 60. Find
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music
- Lobo Loco, "Malte Junior - Hall"